top of page

Should I File a Lawsuit Against My Employer?

As an employment law firm, we are frequently asked, "Should I file a lawsuit against my employer?" The answer depends on the circumstances. We recommend speaking with an employment attorney for advice specific to your employment.

In the meantime, here are a few things to consider:

#1 Are you a member of a protected class?

Certain people are protected from discrimination under the law. These individuals are members of a protected class. According to the National Archives, "These groups include men and women on the basis of sex; any group which shares a common race, religion, color, or national origin; people over 40; and people with physical or mental handicaps. Every U.S. citizen is a member of some protected class and is entitled to the benefits of EEO law. However, the EEO laws were passed to correct a history of unfavorable treatment of women and minority group members." If you are unsure of your status, speak with an employment attorney.

#2 When did the discrimination occur?

According to the EEOC, individuals have 180 days to file a discrimination charge (300 days in some cases). People sometimes contact an attorney years after they were discriminated against and in that case, we are limited in what we can do. Just remember that if the discrimination is ongoing, you may still be within the deadline. Speak with an attorney for more details.

#3 Were you treated differently than others?

Sometimes discrimination is obvious, but in many situations, the discrimination is in the form of microaggressions which can be harder to identify. One thing to ask yourself is "were you treated differently than other coworkers?" For example, were other coworkers given opportunities to advance when you were not? An attorney can go over your situation and advise you on whether or not the incidents could be considered discriminatory.

Speak with an employment attorney to determine if you should sue your employer.

An employment attorney at the Quinn Law Group can advise you and may also recommend alternative courses of action. Consultations are free and take place over the phone, so schedule yours today.

75 views0 comments


bottom of page